HILGARTWILSON, a local consulting firm specializing in Civil Engineering, Survey, Planning and Construction Management is seeking an Assistant Controller to become a part of our growing team. The role of the Assistant Controller is to learn, document, and assist with all aspects of the accounting function including accounts payable, billing/accounts receivable, payroll, general accounting, internal reporting, job cost analyses and metrics, and other projects/duties as assigned.
*This position will be located at our West Valley Office (1830 N 95th Avenue, Suite 110, Phoenix, AZ 85037)*
- Initial assignment will include taking a leading role in replacing existing accounting and timekeeping/billing systems with an integrated ERP solution.
- Learn existing BillQuick timekeeping/billing system and project job cost methodology with an emphasis on the monthly billing processes and procedures.
- Learn existing QuickBooks accounting processes and procedures.
- Learn existing monthly project manager productivity & project profitability reporting requirements, various metrics, etc.
- Coordinate selection & implementation of new ERP system; create related documentation.
- Supervise billing specialists.
- Learn and be able to execute all facets of bi-weekly ADP payroll cycle; do ADP data entry as required.
- Assist with transition to accrual basis accounting.
- Help define and implement operational best practices.
- Help maintain documented system of accounting policies and operations.
- Ensure that controls and accounting processes are completed through acceptable accounting methods.
- Responsible to analyze, balance, reconcile various general ledger accounts as assigned.
- Compile confidential and complex monthly, quarterly and annual financial reports & job cost metrics; produce ad-hoc reports as required.
- Assist as needed to ensure that the Company’s accounting and reporting cycles are timely.
- Ensure compliance with all local, state, and federal filing & reporting requirements.
Skills and Qualifications
- Must have thorough knowledge of accounting principles, theory and practices.
- Must have skill in organizing resources and establishing priorities to properly manage multiple tasks with high attention to detail.
- Must have interpersonal skills at all levels, able to work effectively with principals, project managers, business operations, accounting, administrative personnel, clients, vendors, and all other stakeholders.
- Must have excellent verbal & written communication skills.
- Must be observant, practical, and enjoy problem solving. Must be able to analyze processes and procedures and make practical recommendations for improvements.
- Must be able to work independently and in a team environment
- Software requirements:
- Experience with QuickBooks (Pro, Premier, Enterprise or online version)
- Experience with payroll processing in ADP, Paychex or other payroll software systems; experience booking journal entries related to payroll a plus.
- Experience with professional services billing software a plus
- Advanced skills in Microsoft Office Suite
- Four-year BA/BS degree in Accounting, Finance or related field
- 5 years of accounting experience with demonstrated increasing levels of responsibility
- Experience working in accounting role for a professional services firm a plus
- Experience implementing accounting systems and related systems a plus
- An equivalent combination of education and experience will be considered
Compensation and Benefits
- Compensation includes competitive salary commensurate with experience and year-end performance-based bonus opportunities.
- Company benefits include: Medical, Dental, Vision, FSA, Short & Long Term Disability, Life Insurance, Employee Assistance Program, 401k, Paid Holidays, and Paid Time Off/Paid Sick Time.